Chaff??

roasting & roastery operations

Chaff??

Postby russprefontaine on Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:33 pm

I'm curious to know if anyone has creative ideas for disposing of chaff. I don't like putting some much garbage in the dumpster everyday.
russprefontaine

full name: Russ Prefontaine
company: Fratello Coffee Roasters
: www.fratellocoffee.com

Re: Chaff??

Postby phaelon56 on Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:06 pm

Offer it on Craigslist or through whatever ad mechanism you have locally for giving stuff away free. You may be surprised by what uses people figure out for it. I have to assume that it would be good for adding a bit of loft to garden soil or a compost pile but there must be other uses.
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
New York Central Coffee Roasters
phaelon56

full name: Owen O'Neill
company: Phaelon Coffee / New York Central Coffee

Postby Tim Dominick on Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:25 pm

Compost and vermiculture are two great uses.

A lot of communities have green waste piles.

Ask around, a farmer may be just thrilled to get this windfall
Tim Dominick

full name: Tim Dominick
company: Sacred Grounds Coffee
: www.sacred-grounds.com

Postby russprefontaine on Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:52 am

Thanks, I'm going to look into those ideas.

I appreciate the help.
russprefontaine

full name: Russ Prefontaine
company: Fratello Coffee Roasters
: www.fratellocoffee.com

Postby jdavidwaldman on Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:56 am

Chaff is like gold to our loyal local farmers who sign-up daily to pickup 5-gallon pails of our spend grinds. If you tumble (compost) it works wonders mixed in with other wet ingredients. We actually have a waiting list for our chaff - we ask them to bring large garbage bags, and they actually help me clean out the collector. After posting signs on our shop windows for several weeks (to get the interest going), we took them down, and we have yet to toss away any grinds or chaff since we opened.
... but how does it taste?
jdavidwaldman

full name: J. David Waldman
company: Rojo's Roastery
: http://www.rojosroastery.com

Postby Cea Smith on Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:49 pm

Our chaff is quite tasty. Sort of like very light popcorn and sweet. Ours' drifts away in the breeze but when I can capture some on a damp thumb, I think it is tasty- sort of like light chips. Just my $.02.

aloha,
Cea
Cea Smith

full name: Cecelia B Smith
company: smithfarms pure kona
: www.smithfarms.com

Postby Deaton Pigot on Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:34 am

You could go to the trouble of investing in a pelletizer, I saw one in use at Mathew Algie's coffee company in Glasgow. They are able to take full garbage bags of chaff and reduce it enough so it would fit in the palm of your hand (not entirely factual but you get the picture).

I then heard horror stories about coffee companies taking those pellets of chaff and re-intruducing them into their roast n ground products, to quote a staff member, "after all, it is still coffee"...

Please don't misconstrue the above to read that Mathew Aglie was doing that, they were not, they had some local farmers pick up the pellets for use.
Deaton Pigot

full name: Deaton Pigot
company: TEC
: NA
: www.deaton.wordpress.com

Postby trish on Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:18 pm

If you have a zoo nearby, give them a call. They use it for a bunch of things. When I roasted extremely small batches, a guy would take my small bags of chaff to feed his chickens.

It does not work very well as mulch or ground cover for a garden, but it's great to add to compost heaps along with everything else (as others have mentioned here) but in my experience, you really need to mix it with a lot of other things to get a good compost. The problem is wetting it down. It tends to resist water.
Trish D. Rothgeb
trish

full name: Trish D. Rothgeb
company: Wrecking Ball Coffee Roasters
: wreckingballcoffee.com

Postby johnpitman on Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:29 am

Russ:
I went thru the same process about a year ago. I was about to give up after so many calls & dead ends until I finally called our local botanical gardens. They were so thrilled to get our chaff they even sent someone by our place once a week to pick it up - we were giving them 1 - 2 55 gal plastic bags a week. They use it in their compost.

It takes some time, but keep calling & asking for referrals & networking with connections you make. Sooner or later you'll find someone who is so excited they'll take it off your hands & everyone benefits.
johnpitman

full name: John Pitman
company: Ugly Mug Coffee Co.
: www.uglymugcoffee.com

Postby sweetmarias on Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:32 am

I believe this is the most poetic post I have ever read on this forum - fantastic:

Cea Smith wrote:Our chaff is quite tasty. Sort of like very light popcorn and sweet. Ours' drifts away in the breeze but when I can capture some on a damp thumb, I think it is tasty- sort of like light chips. Just my $.02.

aloha,
Cea
let's cup through this ... together.
http://www.sweetmarias.com | http://www.coffeeshrub.com
sweetmarias

full name: thompson r owen
company: sweet maria's
: www.sweetmarias.com
: www.coffeeshrub.com

Postby Ed Kaufmann on Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:11 pm

We give ours to a local chicken farm. They use it as bedding for the hens. The farmers bring us farm-fresh eggs in exchange. Works out very well. They also take our burlap!
Ed Kaufmann

full name: Ed Kaufmann
company: coming soon

Postby theotherone on Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:45 pm

I've got a guy using chaff for his chickens as well. He says they love it. Who knew?
Jonathan S. Jarrow
Harbinger Coffee, LLC

"Happy Martinique! Hospitable land!
In a new world, you were the first
To gather and fertilize this delightful Asiatic berry,
And, in a French soil, to ripen its Ambrosia!
theotherone

full name: Jonathan Jarrow
company: Harbinger Coffee, LLC
: www.harbingercoffee.com