Reuters: Colombian farmers win 2008 Best of Panama

coffee competitions, auctions, best of panama, etc

Reuters: Colombian farmers win 2008 Best of Panama

Postby nick on Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:13 am

Via Reuters... "Colombian farmers win 'Best of Panama' coffee prize"
"Not every single coffee was outstanding, but of the last 10, at least five were very, very good," said Robert Three, a judge and the owner of Norwegian specialty roasting company Kaffa

"THREE!?!" HAHA!!! :lol:
Nick Cho
nick

full name: Nicholas Cho
company: Wrecking Ball Coffee Roasters
: http://nickcho.com
: http://wreckingballcoffee.com/

Re: Robert Three at Best of Panama

Postby Graciano Cruz on Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:02 am

It's amazing to said that a 93 points GEISHA coffee is not outstanding............what a outstanding cupper could said that?????"
Graciano Cruz

full name: graciano cruz
company: 90 Plus Development, S.A.

Postby phaelon56 on Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:44 am

Graciano - I think you may have mis-interpreted the sentence in the article. I read it as saying some of the coffees submitted for the overall competition were not outstanding, that five of the last ten coffees submitted were "very very good" and then... one of them was the 93.16 point winner. But the winner of the competition is not being referred to as one of the "not outstanding" coffees.
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
New York Central Coffee Roasters
phaelon56

full name: Owen O'Neill
company: Phaelon Coffee / New York Central Coffee

Postby Graciano Cruz on Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:33 am

Owen I take that one, but I really don't understand how a reporter could wrote such a bad article, first he calls Boquete (really well known name at specialty coffee industry now days) as "Bosque" town, also calling Caturra coffee as "Camorra" coffee var., It makes me wonder how a press agency could send somebody with such an ignorant in coffee to write about it.
Another part of the article talks about the actual administrators of La Esperanza farm, where these geisha trees had been planted for the last 30 years, saying that the Colombian farming techniques apply to Boquete soils makes the difference, everybody who had travel to Colombia intensive farming know it's not comparing base. We're really proud of our coffee and farmers quality standards, been an small unique coffee origin makes a difference.

article at forbes said:
Rigoberto Herrera, La Esperanza's commercial director, said his success in bringing Colombia's highly developed coffee industry to Panama could lead the way for other projects.

"What we have done is to try to introduce a little of Colombian coffee know-how to Panama's excellent soil," he said. (Reporting by Andrew Beatty; Editing by Jan Paschal)
Graciano Cruz

full name: graciano cruz
company: 90 Plus Development, S.A.

Postby phaelon56 on Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:26 am

Graciano Cruz wrote:I really don't understand how a reporter could wrote such a bad article

I see your point but here in the US we're accustomed to seeing ill-informed, poorly written and poorly researched articles about the specialty coffee industry in general - and that's mostly just articles about the retail side of the business. When agricultural, historical and technical issues become an integral part of the story it often gets worse :cry:
Last edited by phaelon56 on Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
New York Central Coffee Roasters
phaelon56

full name: Owen O'Neill
company: Phaelon Coffee / New York Central Coffee

Postby Edwin Martinez on Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:31 am

I thought Camorra was yet another varietal that I'm not familiar with.

Otherwise, I know Camorra to be when a bunch of people gang up and beat on someone. Usually in a somewhat friendly way; done in jr. high by your friends when you say something stupid.

But I agree Graciano, Andrew and Jan are digging deep here. Many reporters want to tell a compelling story with out enough facts and then the facts are often wrong. However they do get the Panama and Colombia in the news along with presenting the concept of auctions and varietals to the reader.

If a farmer from Vietnam wins the Rwanda CoE, I'm sure they'll feature this too and talk about a whole new varietal we've never heard of and get a quote from Geoff Whats.
Edwin D. Martinez
Edwin Martinez

Postby trish on Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:53 pm

RE: this journalist's skills
...the dude is not named "Three"
trish

full name: Trish D. Rothgeb
company: Wrecking Ball Coffee Roasters
: wreckingballcoffee.com