Esmeralda Shootout???

coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee

Esmeralda Shootout???

Postby onocoffee on Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:48 am

Now that the BoP auction lot Esmeralda is hitting the market, is anyone going to do an Esmeralda Shootout?

Considering the consternation regarding Black Cat's fall to Segafreddo and the resulting shootout "revised" - I'm wondering if anyone's going to collect Esmeralda from all the different roasters and see who's is "best"?

P.S. - I'm willing to do it if all companies send me samples...
Jay Caragay

Lono
new explorations in coffee + cuisine.
onocoffee

full name: Jay Caragay
company: spiral jetty
: www.sprocoffee.com
: onocoffee.blogspot.com

Postby Jeff Jassmond on Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:50 am

I was so excited to see a new post on a thread other than the "Professional Courtesy" that I wet myself. I actually felt the moisture drain back in when I read the topic.

Still, it would be fun (the shootout, not wetting myself again.)

Jeff
Annex
Jeff Jassmond

full name: jeffrey jassmond
company: Unaffiliated.

Postby jmc on Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:01 pm

gee jay, i'd love to send you some coffee, it seems like i never get to hear your opinion about things... :twisted:
Jay Cunningham
intelligentsiacoffee.com
jmc

full name: Jay Cunningham
company: Intelligentsia
: www.intelligentsiacoffee.com
: www.directtradecoffee.com

Postby onocoffee on Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:37 pm

You really up for it, Jay? A certain roaster in Minnesota has offered to commit...

Anyone else?

It'll be pretty simple protocol. Coffee shall arrive by a certain date, I'll gather some interested coffee and food people. 3 ounces of coffee per 48z press pot, 4 minute steep time, 200F water and it will be off to the races. Unbridled, unrestricted and everyone gets to name the "winner".

As I told the first roaster to offer a commitment, I'm not interested in getting myself free coffee. I'll only ask that they send coffee if some of the other auction lot roasters participate as well.

The offer still stands if the roasters are willing to go for it. BTW, this is meant to be a "fun and friendly" kind of shootout.
Jay Caragay

Lono
onocoffee

Shootout clarification

Postby Poul Mark on Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:48 pm

Jay, does it have to be the auction lot, or can we submit some of our none auction lot Esmeralda? If so, Transcend Coffee will gladly participate.
Cheers,
Poul Mark

Passionate Student of Coffee
Poul Mark

full name: Poul Mark
company: Transcend Coffee
: www.transcendcoffee.com
: www.transcendcoffeeblog.com

Postby Ryan Willbur on Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:52 pm

BTW, I haven't seen any of the green... Was this years coffee vacuum sealed or anything, or was it straight burlap?
Ryan Willbur
http://www.rwillbur.com
@RWillbur
Ryan Willbur

full name: Ryan Willbur
company: La Marzocco USA

bags

Postby geoff watts on Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:08 am

Burlap, unfortunately.

If ever there was a coffee that screamed out for vacuum packaging, this would be it.

I think it should upgrade in future years though...the Petersons seemed very much into the idea last time we discussed it.

What would be great is if someone in Latin America would set up a business to supply equipment and materials for vacuum packaging, to make it easier for those who are interested to go for it. If we could establish a reasonable standard price for the better packaging and make the equipment and instructions very accessible, I'm sure it would become easier for exporters to offer this option to interested buyers. A lot of people I know think it is a good idea but balk a little bit because of uncertain costs and sourcing.

By the way, I support a roast showdown...I like the idea...but would suggest perhaps that we make it larger than proposed. I'd love to taste them as well, and probably every roaster who is selling this stuff would be interested in seeing what their peers are doing with it. Perhaps we could orchestrate something on a regional basis? It's expensive coffee to play around with like that, but the learning experience would likely be worthwhile.

g
geoff watts

Postby onocoffee on Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:36 am

Geoff-

That sounds like an even better idea. I'm pretty sure I can arrange to host this kind of tasting at the new Woodberry Kitchen here in Baltimore. It's going to be a great restaurant with a real farm to table focus. The chef is a friend of mine who appeared in Portafilter #72.

Maybe we can even do a chile tasting. I just dried and smoked a case of locally grown, organic red jalapenos this weekend into chipotles. Enough to fill a 20 liter tub!

Maybe we can look to do this sometime in November or January. I'd suggest December, but I know their private dining room is probably booked and most people will be busy for the holidays.
Jay Caragay

Lono
onocoffee

Postby bz on Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:20 am

just might drive to baltimore for that (with a wife and kid, in case anyone wants to question my motives).

unless, of course, you make atlanta a regional pit stop. to which we say: puhleeeze.
bz

full name: ben szobody
company: n/a

Postby onocoffee on Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:32 am

You would drive eight hours just for some "industry" tasting???

That would be great.

As of this writing, only three companies have expressed interest in the tasting. Perhaps we would need a few more to make it viable.
Jay Caragay

Lono
onocoffee

Postby JavaJ on Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:27 am

onocoffee wrote:You would drive eight hours just for some "industry" tasting???

I once drove 8 hours just to taste some yummy Kenya samples at the Annex. My wife still thinks we went on a holiday trip to Portland. Sucker. :twisted:

J. Valenta
JavaJ Espresso Bar
JavaJ

full name: J. Valenta
company: Valenta Consulting, LLC