Forget volume, forget mass: measure crema in "minutes"

elusive espresso... theorize, philosophize!

Forget volume, forget mass: measure crema in "minutes"

Postby nick on Fri May 09, 2008 9:07 am

:?

http://www.luxist.com/2008/05/09/illys- ... -espresso/

Italian coffee company illycaffè has created a new easier way to make your espresso. Their new system is called iperEspresso (hyper espresso) and this month Illy is launching the Francis Francis X7 with iperEspresso, a capsule system that uses a two-phase preparation process to create the perfect shot of espresso. The first step is hyperinfusion, in which the coffee and water come into contact under optimal pressure conditions, followed by the emulsion process, in which the coffee passes through a valve to form a rich and velvety crema (the thin layer of foam at the surface of the espresso). The iperEspresso's crema yields more volume and height than a traditional shot and can last up to fifteen minutes as compared to the average espresso's five minutes. The coffee never comes into direct contact with the machine so cleaning the machine is far easier. IperEspresso has been released commercially and is currently used in restaurants including Le Bernardin and Nobu, as well as at The Mandarin Oriental Hotel.

The new system is available in the popular Francis Francis X7 machine for a special intro price of $395 and the Francis Francis X8 is available for a special rate of $495. The coffee in the iperEspresso capsule is the same used in the cans and in café espresso and is available in two different roasts: medium and dark as well as decaffeinated capsules .A 21-serving container of capsules is $15.9
Nick Cho
nick

full name: Nicholas Cho
company: Wrecking Ball Coffee Roasters
: http://nickcho.com
: http://wreckingballcoffee.com/

Re: Forget volume, forget mass: measure crema in "minutes"

Postby phaelon56 on Fri May 09, 2008 10:09 am

The end result sounds suspiciously similar to the fake crema produced by the "crema enhancing disc" assembly that's included in many lower end consumer espresso machines. I imagine the longevity benefits photo stylists but drinking it? Mr. T nailed that one... "pity the fool".
Last edited by phaelon56 on Mon May 12, 2008 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
New York Central Coffee Roasters
phaelon56

full name: Owen O'Neill
company: Phaelon Coffee / New York Central Coffee

Postby barry on Fri May 09, 2008 10:17 am

phaelon56 wrote:The end result sounds suspiciously similar to the fake crema produced by the "creme enhancing disc" assembly that's included in many lower end consumer espresso machines.

of course, the fake crema sounds suspiciously similar to the real crema, which is produced by hundreds of tiny "crema enhancing holes" in the bottom of the portafilter basket.

:twisted:
barry

full name: T. Barry Jarrett
company: Coffee Projects Inc.

Postby stormer on Mon May 12, 2008 8:19 am

barry wrote:real crema, which is produced by hundreds of tiny "crema enhancing holes" in the bottom of the portafilter basket.

I was under the understanding that crema is a product of CO2 dissolving into the liquid at concentrations greater than what is possible at atmospheric pressure, then being released after leaving the pressurized environment of the puck; kind of like what happens when one decides to be a jerk and pour salt in somebody's soda. Is this belief outdated?
Joe Stormer
Barista, Stickman Coffee
stormer

full name: Joe Stormer
company: not really in coffee right now

Postby phaelon56 on Mon May 12, 2008 8:38 am

stormer wrote:
barry wrote:real crema, which is produced by hundreds of tiny "crema enhancing holes" in the bottom of the portafilter basket.

I was under the understanding that crema is a product of CO2 dissolving into the liquid at concentrations greater than what is possible at atmospheric pressure, then being released after leaving the pressurized environment of the puck; kind of like what happens when one decides to be a jerk and pour salt in somebody's soda. Is this belief outdated?

Can't confirm the technical specifics with certainty but I'm inclined to agree with stormer on this one. If you take flat stale coffee and try to make espresso you won't get crema with a conventional basket no matter how many little holes you have or what your grind/tamp/pull technique is. But run that same coffee through a machine with the magical cream enhancing disc and you get a moderately dense tan long-lasting foam that resembles crema but has none of its best qualities.
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
phaelon56

Postby stormer on Mon May 12, 2008 9:56 am

phaelon56 wrote:you get a moderately dense tan long-lasting foam

How pressurized is a pressurized basket? Is it enough to change the internal pressure of the puck? I know that at higher boiler pressures I've produced huge volumes of crema but that crema always shrank to normal volume within about twenty seconds like with super-fresh coffee.
Joe Stormer
Barista, Stickman Coffee
stormer

full name: Joe Stormer
company: not really in coffee right now

Postby phaelon56 on Mon May 12, 2008 11:28 am

I don't think pressurized baskets and crema enhancing discs necessarily go together. If I recall correctly, my Gaggia baby espresso machine came with one but it had a non-pressurized PF. Based on advice I received in the Coffeegeek forums I removed it before ever using the machine.
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
phaelon56