New York Baby!

not too near coffee discussion, or dated posts

New York Baby!

Postby Sandy on Wed May 21, 2008 7:36 pm

Husband and I are planning a week long excursion to the Big Apple.
Any food and beverage (and coffee, of course) recommendations for the Upper West Side?
Sandy Hon
supervisor, coffee bar operations
Johnson County Community College
Sandy

full name: Sandy Hon
company: Johnson County Community College

Re: New York Baby!

Postby Alistair Durie on Wed May 21, 2008 10:29 pm

for coffee don't miss El Beit

in Brooklyn 158 Bedford Ave (between 8th St & 9th St)
Alistair Durie
Elysian Coffee | photos | tweets
Alistair Durie
admin

full name: Alistair Durie
company: Elysian Coffee
: www.elysiancoffee.com
: www.coffeed.com

Postby phaelon56 on Thu May 22, 2008 8:12 am

Don't limit yourself to the Upper West Side for food and beverage. Most New Yorkers think of it as a bit deprived when it comes to dining although there are some exceptions including Telepan on West 69th near Columbus. Also - although it's just below UWS and is much larger / less cozy than the original (and still extant but with much longer waits for a table) downtown location, Landmarc in the Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle (59th and Broadway) is worth a visit. They are noted for basic but innovative American oriented cuisine and an extremely reasonably priced and well chosen wine list - with lots of 1/2 bottle available. If you go for a lunch that is really a brunch due to being on vacation (or whatever) then try to get the Pain Perdu as a shared dessert or as a solo entree (it is listed as a dessert). It's a honkin' big piece of rustic bread from Sullivan St Bakery that is soaked overnight in a custard mixture and then baked. Lots of gooey, crunchy texture and many sweet notes and flavor contrasts (from the burnt edges on the bread - tasty!).

As for beverages... if it's classic cocktails then try Pegu Club (go early or on a weeknight to avoid the younger more obnoxious crowd that is rumored to have started infiltrating) or try PDT. That is Please Don't Tell - a classic speakeasy type setup that's accessed by going through a door in a phone booth inside the rear of the Crif Dogs hotdog joint on St. Mark's Place near NYU. You might need reservations for that one so call 'em if interested. And I'll show my touristy side by suggesting that you check out the Campbell Apartment on the south side of Grand central (access it from the street). Maybe just one drink there but it's a cool place to look at and has real history (it was actually some tycoon's private apartment back in the day - he lived in GCT when in town).

I wish I could tell you of a place for good coffee or espresso on the UWS but don't know of any. Usual suspects are Cafe Grumpy in Chelsea, 9th Street and now the Gimme espresso bar on Mott Street in No Ho. Last weekend I was trying to find the Joe the Art of Coffee location that was listed on east 13th Street in my mobile phone Google lookup but what I stumbled upon instead was Everyman Espresso. I guess it used to be a 9th Street (Ken Nye's place - and I have not yet revisited them since they switched to Stumptown as their supplier). The barista at Everyman - I think Amanda was her name - did a bangup job on the Synesso with my triple ristretto shot of CCC La Forza - very nice. I had a really good shot of Leftist and a Machiatto at Gimme on Mott. Head south a few blocks into Chinatown and treat yourself to a Chinese Foot Rub - they're the best. Go for the 30 minute option and I swear - you'll feel as though you'd had a one hour full body massage - it's that effective.

The thing about dining options is that the choices are nearly endless and the subway system useful enough so that no place should be thought of as out of reach. I could ramble on all day about food in NYC and not get tired of it. Three more favorites and then I'll shut up.

1) L'Ecole in lower Manhattan - the restaurant operated by the French Culinary Institute - casual upscale French ridiculously cheap (like $35 or less for three course fixed price menu)- must have reservations but well worth it and the best creme brulee I've ever had.

2) Sripraphai Thai in Queens (easily accessible by subway) - really authentic Thai that is not dumbed down for the American palate.

3) Spicy Mina in Queens on the edge of Jackson Heights (even easier to access by subway than Sripraphai is). Bangladeshi food and every single item is made fresh. She even grates and batters the vegetables one order at a time for the pakoras. Hers is the first Indian type of food that I ever really "got". It takes awhile to get your food but prices are low and the food is amazing.

PM me on general NYC stuff if you need to bu I will be off line from today at 5 PM until Monday morning.
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
New York Central Coffee Roasters
phaelon56

full name: Owen O'Neill
company: Phaelon Coffee / New York Central Coffee

Postby Sean Starke on Thu May 22, 2008 8:51 am

I rarely get uptown but 2 places I can recommend downtown if you are there are the french bistro Les Halles on John Street (have the mussels appetizer and steak frites) and the Bridge Cafe (best calamari I've ever had) , which is right next to the Brooklyn Bridge
Sean Starke
Coffee America (USA) Corp.
Sean Starke

Postby Matt Milletto on Thu May 22, 2008 9:37 am

Via Quadronno is a great place on E. 73rd between Madison and 5th. The owner, Paolo is a good friend of my dad and I's and they have excellent Italian style pasta, panini, wine and Tiramisu. They also have a super traditional Italian coffee bar. A panini lunch won't set you back to much, dinner is a bit more pricey. It's right off central park if you are walking around there.

For nightlife, head to Employees Only, 510 Hudson St., a true speakeasy feel (don't mind the fortune teller decoy in the front window), but with a team of bartenders pouring signature drinks, and fresh oysters and wine on the twinkle light lit, moulin rouge-ish garden patio.

- Matt
matt milletto
american barista & coffee school
http://www.coffeeschool.org
Matt Milletto

full name: Matt Milletto
company: American Barista & Coffee School
: http://www.coffeeschool.org
: http://www.baristaexchange.com

Postby phaelon56 on Thu May 22, 2008 10:30 am

Another thing I enjoy is wandering up and down 8th and 9th Ave from the low 40's up to the mid 50's and doing some window menu shopping. Lots of interesting ethnic joints and reasonable prices.

You'll want to try classic NYC coal oven pizza also. That means Grimaldi's, Lombardi's or Totonno's if you want one of the standby's (John's on Bleecker is not bad either). I'm told that DiFara's in East Harlem is in a class of its own but I haven't tried it. By the way - purists will insist that the original Totonno's out by Coney island is the only good one but the upper East side location had a a pretty good pie when I ate there (and I have been to both).

Queen of Sheba on 9th is IMHO the best Ethiopian food in NYC, especially the "crispy fish", but Ghenet on Mulberry is good and offers the Ethiopian coffee ceremony on request (neither Sheba or Meskerem offer it). The coffee ceremony is a must do if you've never experienced it.
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
phaelon56

Postby Kyle Glanville on Thu May 22, 2008 12:05 pm

una pizza napoletana or luzzo's in the east village.
Kyle Glanville
Intelligentsia Coffee
http://kyleglanville.wordpress.com
Kyle Glanville

full name: kyle glanville
company: intelligentsia coffee
: http://blackcatcoffee.com

Postby Mike White on Thu May 22, 2008 2:28 pm

phaelon56 wrote:Last weekend I was trying to find the Joe the Art of Coffee location that was listed on east 13th Street in my mobile phone Google lookup but what I stumbled upon instead was Everyman Espresso. I guess it used to be a 9th Street (Ken Nye's place - and I have not yet revisited them since they switched to Stumptown as their supplier).

You just missed the Joe on 13th St. It's on the same street, but another two or three blocks west.

As for pizza, Totonno's (in Coney Island) gets my vote.
Mike White
blog
twitter
Mike White

full name: Mike White
company: New York Coffee Jobs
: http://newyorkcoffeejobs.com

Postby Mike White on Thu May 22, 2008 2:42 pm

By the way, you should take the Staten Island Ferry from Battery Park. It's free, and offers the best view of the harbor and Statue of Liberty. Especially at night.
Mike White
blog
twitter
Mike White

full name: Mike White
company: New York Coffee Jobs
: http://newyorkcoffeejobs.com

Postby Liz Clayton on Thu May 22, 2008 7:39 pm

I don't really like engaging the NY pizza debate, but Di Fara in Midwood, Brooklyn will make an indelible impression both on the palate spectrum and the "this guy makes your pizza from start to finish from fresh amazing ingredients and has been doing so all by himself for 40+ years" spectrum. But yes, Mike, the crust is better at Totonno's.

Sandy, get in touch if you want the coffee tour. The short version is Grumpy Chelsea, Ninth Street Chelsea Market, Gimme! Mott, and El Beit. Bonus points for Abraço and hitting any of the duplicates. Is Joe Grand Central open yet?

I have no comments either way on the Chinese Foot Rub.
Liz Clayton

full name: Liz Clayton
company: twitchy labs
: http://twitchy.org

Postby ypoedza on Wed May 28, 2008 8:14 am

come to El Beit! we are going to have some new and amazing coffees starting this friday! yum! Difaras was amazing, i didnt eat anything and was blown away!

when are you going to be here?? in fact are you here right now?
Dan Griffin
ypoedza

full name: Dan Griffin
company: TG Lab

Postby Sandy on Wed May 28, 2008 9:30 am

Not yet! Husband and i are leaving next wednesday- the 4th.

Thanky ou all for your responses. I'm so excited to check out the big apple for the first time.
Now i have lots of places to choose from.

any recomendations or non-recomendations for street vendors? i've gotta try at least one... or more.....
Sandy Hon
Sandy

Postby phaelon56 on Wed May 28, 2008 9:56 am

Street vendors:

The Hot Nuts carts are all the same but they do make for a tasty snack in a pinch.

I'd skip the dirty water hot dog vendors and just go to one of the many Papaya variations if you want to try a typical all beef NYC hot dog - Grey's Papaya, Papaya Dog, Papaya King.... IMHO they are all similar.

The giant pretzels with coarse salt are all straight from a freezer box before being heated and I have yet to try any that were really good.

Down in the Financial District off lower Broadway there are quite a number of street vendors at lunchtime including a falafel guy who's very good.

The Halal meat carts with little shish kebabs are generally a safe bet and consistent.

I'm sure I'm missing plenty as there are a number of carts in Midtown east that I've heard of but I almost never get over there. Another of my favorites is the tamale ladies. They set up on 8th Ave between 4 PM and 6 PM on or near the corner of 39th just south of Port Authority terminal and sell straight out of a big steel pot they haul in a small cart. Both chicken and pork are available and they're quite tasty but of course the hot sauce is a must.
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
phaelon56

Postby Sean Starke on Wed May 28, 2008 11:01 am

Sadly, it's almost impossible to find dirty water dogs anymore; I certainly haven't seen them downtown in years. Everything is grilled (well, griddled, really) now.
Sean Starke
Sean Starke

Postby Matt Milletto on Wed May 28, 2008 1:27 pm

here is a link to an article in new york magazine on the top 20 street carts in nyc.

also, june 1st i will be announcing a little surprise for all you brooklynites. :)
matt milletto
american barista & coffee school
http://www.coffeeschool.org
Matt Milletto

full name: Matt Milletto
company: American Barista & Coffee School
: http://www.coffeeschool.org
: http://www.baristaexchange.com

Postby Sandy on Wed May 28, 2008 5:36 pm

what is a dirty water dog? at first i thought it was a bad thing. apparently not?
Thanks for the link, Matt.
Sandy Hon
Sandy

Postby Jason Haeger on Wed May 28, 2008 10:28 pm

Sandy wrote:what is a dirty water dog? at first i thought it was a bad thing. apparently not?
Thanks for the link, Matt.

hog dog from a vat of hot water doing the cooking.

Dog after dog after dog in the same water = dirty water
Jason Haeger

full name: Jason Haeger
company: AJ Coffee Company | EspressoTrainer.com
: http://www.ajcoffeeco.com

Postby Sean Starke on Thu May 29, 2008 7:36 am

The 'vintage' water adds something indescribable (and generally curable by antibiotics) to the flavor. :D
Sean Starke
Sean Starke

Postby phaelon56 on Thu May 29, 2008 8:40 am

Unlike so many activities best left to professionals you actually can experience some aspects of the dirty water hot dog at home.

Here's the recipe for "Weiner Water Soup" :lol:

http://www.seriouseats.com/required_eating/2008/05/wiener-water-soup.html
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
phaelon56

Postby Sandy on Thu May 29, 2008 9:31 am

Dirty water dog: just what i thought.
Gross. and no thanks.

not a big dog fan.....
Sandy Hon
Sandy

Postby phaelon56 on Thu May 29, 2008 1:10 pm

Just think of them as "flavor infused" and you'll be fine :wink:
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
phaelon56

Postby Sandy on Thu May 29, 2008 1:30 pm

phaelon56 wrote:Just think of them as "flavor infused" and you'll be fine :wink:

From Concentrate!!
:D
Sandy Hon
Sandy

Postby Alistair Durie on Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:21 pm

Matt Milletto wrote:here is a link to an article in new york magazine on the top 20 street carts in nyc.

also, june 1st i will be announcing a little surprise for all you brooklynites. :)

love surprises... ?
Alistair Durie
Elysian Coffee | photos | tweets
Alistair Durie
admin

full name: Alistair Durie
company: Elysian Coffee
: www.elysiancoffee.com
: www.coffeed.com

Postby phaelon56 on Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:12 am

Hey Sandy - how was the trip.... the food... the coffee?
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
phaelon56

Postby Sandy on Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:00 pm

new York was awesome! unfortunately, we didn't try out any coffee bars. sigh, i was prepared though, with a small french press and a pound of PT's Sumatra Lake Tawar.

My wonderfully organized husband had the whole week proficiently planned out.
Lots of sightseeing and ballgames (he wanted to see the original Yankee stadium in his life time).

We took a cab ride and to my surprise, it wasn't too scary. Unfortunately, it only gave my husband just cause to continue driving like a mad man in kansas city!

The locals that we met were incredibly friendly. Too bad New yorkers have such a bad rap.
We met and conversed with many very friendly people.

The subway system was very difficult for us to figure out. better than renting a car, but difficult nonetheless.

though Caragay will gaffaw, the highlight of my trip was at my visit to the Mesa Grill. After trying the espresso and being dissapointed, my husband spoke with the manager who LET me into THE BACK OF THE HOUSE to give them pointers on preparing espresso.
THAT was cool.
Maybe i should challege Bobby Flay to an espresso throwdown??

Thank you everyone for your suggestions of great coffee and food places to check out in New York.
Some of the street vendors were SO good! i found that the "non commercial, ghetto-ist looking" spots were the best eats.

All the best,
Sandy
Sandy Hon
Sandy